Math Connects 2nd Chapter 1

Chapter 1-Using Place Values to 100 and Patterns

Hundreds-Chart-Colored

Hundreds Chart– Click to enlarge

Summary

1-1 Tens and Ones:  I can count, read, and write tens and ones.

Vocabulary:  Ones:  a place value of a number.  Example:  In the number 23, the 3 is in the ones place.  This number has 3 ones.  Tens:  a place value of a number.  Example:  In the number 23, the 2 is in the tens place.  This number has 2 tens.

1-2 Place Value to 100:  I can use models of tens and ones to show numbers to 100.

Vocabulary:  Digit:  a symbol use to write numbers (there are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and, 9).  Place Value:  value given to a digit by its place in a number.      For example, in the number 46, the 4 is in the tens place… so it isn’t just a 4… it is 4 tens which means it has the value of 40.

Place Value Chart

Place Value Chart– Click to Enlarge

1-3 Use Logical Reasoning:  I can use logical reasoning to solve problems.

1-4 Read and Write Numbers:  I can read and write numbers to 100.

1-5 Estimate Amounts:  I can estimate amounts to 100.

Vocabulary:  Estimate:  finding a number close to an exact amount.

1-6 Order Numbers:  I can order numbers to 100.

Vocabulary:  Number line:  a line with numbers on it often used in math.  Before:  on a number line (5,6,7)  6 is before 7.   After:   to follow in place or time.   Between:  on a number line, (48, 49, 50)  49 is between 48 and 50.

1-7 Compare Numbers:  I can compare numbers to 100.

Vocabulary:  Compare:  seeing how numbers are alike and different.  Is greater than >:  the number on the left side of the symbol is greater or larger than the number on the right.   Is less than <:  the number on the left side of the symbol is less than or smaller than the number on the right. Is equal to =:  both numbers have the same value on either side of the symbol.

1-8 Patterns:  I can create and use patterns to solve problems.

Vocabulary:  Pattern:  is an order that a set of objects or numbers follows over and over or how a set grows.

1-9 Choose a strategy:  I can choose the best strategy to solve a problem.

1-10 Patterns on a Hundred Chart:  I can create and use patterns on a hundred chart to solve problems.

Vocabulary:  Skip Count:  counting objects in equal groups or multiples of two or more.