Math Connects Chapter 13

Chapter 13- Measure Capacity and Weight

Summary

13-1 Capacity: Nonstandard Units:  I can select and use nonstandard units to measure capacity.

Vocabulary:  Capacity:  the amount of dry or liquid material a container can hold.

Helpful lil' guy!

Helpful lil’ guy!

13-2 Cups and Gallons:  I can recognize and use models that approximate cups and gallons.

Vocabulary:  Cup:  a unit to measure capacity or how much something holds.  1 cup =8 ounces.  Gallon:  a liquid measure of capacity.  1 gallon= 4 quarts.

13-3 PSS: Act It Out:  I can use act it out as a strategy to solve problems.

13-4 Milliliters and Liters:  I can recognize and use models that approximate milliliters and liters.

Vocabulary:  Liter:  a metric unit of measure for volume or capacity.  1 liter =1000 milliliters.  Milliliter:  a metric unit used for measuring capacity.  1000 milliliters= 1 liter.

13-5 Weight: Nonstandard Units:  I can use nonstandard units to find weight.

Vocabulary:  Weight:  a measurement that tells how heavy an object is.

measurement13-6 Ounces and Pounds:  I can recognize and use models that approximate ounces and pounds.

Vocabulary:  Ounces:  a customary unit for measuring weight or capacity.  One CD weighs about 1 ounce.  Pound:  a customary unit for measuring weight or mass.  1 pound = 16 ounces.

13-7 Grams and Kilograms:  I can recognize and use models that approximate grams and kilograms.

Vocabulary:  Gram:  a metric unit for measuring mass.  Kilogram:  a metric unit for measuring mass.  1 kilogram= pair of men’s shoes.

13-8 PSS:  Choose a Strategy:  I can choose the best strategy to solve problems.